Over the years of my lifetime there have been numerous end time predictions. I list here just a few:
- Y2K (year 2000) may be the last doomsday many people remember. The computers did not all fail and we did not all die.
- Charles Taze Russell (1852-1916) founded the religious sect now known as the Jehovah's Witnesses in 1872. He and other witnesses have given three different end dates: 1874, 1914 and 1975.
- Jeane Dixon (1918-1997) an astrologer and alleged psychic, predicted in 1970 that a comet would strike the earth in the "mid-80's" at a place that she knew, but did not deign to tell.
- David Koresh was the leader of the Branch Davidianus in Waco, Texas. Koresh said that the Apocalypse would begin when the American army attacked Mount Carmel, their compound outside of Waco. The showdown between the government and the cult began on Sunday, 28 February, 1993, when agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms attempted to arrest Koresh on charges of illegal firearms and explosives charges.
- Randy Weaver, a former Iowa factory worker and Green Beret, moved his family to northern Idaho (Ruby Ridge) during the 1980s his wife Vicki saw as a corrupted world". Vicki, the religious leader of the family, believed that the apocalypse was imminent and had dreams of her family surviving the apocalypse in a remote mountainous area.
The one thing all these dates have in common is that the world did not end on any of them.
We need to remember the Biblical instruction:
Matt 24:36-37 "But of that day and hour no one knows , not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only. NKJV
Mark 13:32-37 "But of that day and hour no one knows , not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 33 Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time is.34 It is like a man going to a far country, who left his house and gave authority to his servants, and to each his work, and commanded the doorkeeper to watch. 35 Watch therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming -- in the evening, at midnight, at the crowing of the rooster, or in the morning -- 36 lest, coming suddenly, he find you sleeping. 37 And what I say to you, I say to all: Watch!" NKJV
Salvation does not come from figuring out the date. That according to scripture is reserved for the Father alone. Salvation will come from being ready when ever he comes. So as Jesus said, "Watch." Oh yes, you may be wondering if I’m going to see 2012.... I think I’ll rent it later, say around January 1, 2013!
Bless you all ,